Tuesday, October 16, 2012

I Left my Heart in Capri

First of all, I apologize for the lateness of this post! Things have been so crazy over here (you can read about it in the next post which should (hopefully) be up by the end of the week!) Also, I've had some trouble as of late in uploading photos, and these adventures have been just oh so amazing that I couldn't bear to write about them and not include the pictures!! Albeit, most of the pictures truly don't do justice to the experiences, but still! So, with that out of the way, all that follows is what I wrote upon returning home last weekend:

This was an incredible weekend. We had the unbelievable opportunity to go to Sorrento, Capri, and Pompeii - and my oh my was it wonderful. Really and truly, I think this was the all time best trip I've ever taken. We left Rome on Friday morning and made the 3-4 hour trip by bus. The scenery was wonderful, and the best part was when we reached the coast. The sea was gorgeous and sparkling. Sorrento and Capri are on the Tyrrhenian Sea, a part of of Mediterranean Sea. After settling into our hotel in Sorrento, we took some time to walk around, explore, and shop. Sorrento is such a precious and quaint small town and it was perfect to explore in one day. We ate dinner at a restaurant that was on top of a cliff overlooking the port of Sorrento. It was just so lovely!

the view from the cliffs of Sorrento

dinner on a cliff top restaurant, overlooking the port

On Saturday morning, we woke up early and took a boat from Sorrento to Capri, where we would spend the day. And oh my word - Capri is magnificent. It is glorious and beautiful and perfect and magical. It is by far my favorite place of anywhere I think I've been. Ever. Upon arriving, we went in search of a sailor to take us out on a boat to tour around the island and show us the best of Capri. We found one who agreed to take the 8 of us out for 3 hours, for about 18 euros/person. Such a good deal!! So we set out with our new friend, Salvatore, into the blue waters of Capri. We spent the next three hours floating around the island, visiting grottos (orange and purple), and stopping in some of the bluest waters I've ever seen in my life to take a swim. The whole time was a dream. I mean, lounging on the coast of Capri on a private boat and swimming in the crystal clear waters of the Mediterranean? Is this real life?! We swam through several caves, and once we even swam through a cave to a secluded beach! I will forever dream of my time at Capri and long to go back. After we finished our unbelievable time on the boat, we went back on the island, grabbed lunch at Anacapri, shopped a bit, then caught the boat back to Sorrento. Back at Sorrento, we wandered around for a bit more, then grabbed some gelato at an amazing and well-known gelato place right under our hotel, then turned in for the night.

Capri

swimming off the coast

the water was so blue and so clear!

swimming through caves

the trademark of Capri. I made a wish when we went through it!

jumping off rocks!

Sunday morning we checked out of the hotel, hopped on the bus and drove to Pompeii. We toured the city, which I'm sure you've all heard much about. It really was incredible, how much they've found, and how well it's all preserved. Supposedly people have been saying lately that they believe there's even more buried underneath what they've already found! I'm only going to post a few pictures, since you've all seen pictures of and heard of Pompeii before! 

walking on the crosswalks of Pompeii

Pompeii

Two things Pine Cove has in common with Pompeii: pine needles!

and pine cones!!

streets of Pompeii. I had no idea how extensive the city was! 

No comments:

Post a Comment